Saturday, December 24, 2011

letter to santa

December 24th 2011,
Dear Santa,
It’s the eve of Christmas, the air is filled up with the joy and excitement, the smell of gun powder from knockouts is fused with the dusty smell of the dry season, families Christmas lights and music over shadowed by the blaring sound of generators, giving bliss and harmony only to surrounding keen ears. Sisters, mothers, aunties all in the kitchen prepping the food for the day to come, kids are excited for a chance to exceed the usual bed time deadline, taking the opportunity to brag about their expected Christmas gift. Fathers, men, older brother, uncles surround tables of snacks to nibble, washed down with drinks of preference, sharing talks and tales of the year past, while some are fixated on the television. Without a doubt the knowledge of the coming day, the reason and expectation is in the air and lingering behind everyone’s mind. Some thinking about the stress of making it fun from the kitchen, some about the strain it puts on their pockets just to see that smile on the faces of loved ones, and some without a care in the world, just waiting for the combination of the joy of the day.
But for some folks, they take that time to reflect on their present situation and compare to this same time last year, which is exactly what I’m doing right about now; writing your white fake *beep*. Last year was the end of me believing in you, this year I’ve taken things into my own hand, definitely not going to write you a list of what I want, cause its been proven that you’re the worst(and still the best) fraudster ever. Selling fake dreams to kids, telling them u leave in the North Pole, sliding down chimneys with you oversized tummy, talking about flying reindeers pulling sledges. Really!!! Don’t buy that story anymore. What I do believe in are the people around me that show me love, and are there for you when you want and need them.
People who are going to wake up tomorrow, enter the kitchen selflessly and prepare me roasted chicken with mushroom and herb stuffing, dipped in wine sauce to go with the all famous fried rice and barbeque sauces, green vegetable salad, and grilled pork chops. An aunty who has already delivered a self baked 3layer chocolate, strawberry and vanilla cake going down with creamy ice cream, there’s also minced pie or Christmas pudding just in case. Try sending that down my chimney you big fat *beep*.
You think you’re the only one who gives gifts? Well I have news for you; I’ve got my own personal Santa – ME! I got me a puppy for Christmas, friends suggested I name him after you, I said “not even if it was the last name in the world and my life depended on it”, my wardrobe is taking a new turn thanks to some lovely people, and for once I really didn’t bother to want anything for Christmas, and guess what? Its paying off because every gift I’ve gotten and would get would truly be appreciated.
You’ve taught me Christmas doesn’t evolve around red, white and green; it revolves around those you love and love you back, forming a chain and bond that ties us through till the next season. My point is we don’t really need you after all, you just a sick old psycho that feed on hopes and dreams. I also really do hope you took my advice from my last letter.
But just in case you do have a change of heart, you know where I leave. I’m not asking for anything, just surprise me, but just for tips a bold 5 or iphone 4OS would be lovely. Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment