Monday, August 22, 2011

My Birthday

Its almost 4.00pm as I pull close to my house, I know this because the beautiful voice on radio just announced that immediately after One Republic’s Secrets the 4 O’clock news would be read. I really wasn’t feeling happy, to think about it, really couldn’t remember why I was feeling grumpy, one thing I do remember was the date, the date was 14th January, my birthday. So far all I know is the time, date and how I felt, not a good way and time to be feeling the way I felt.

I get to my gate, hoot me horn and wait for my sister to open, two minutes passed before I remembered my sister was off at school. Damn! With my foul mood I descend and let my self in, dogs wagging its tail awaiting the usual ruffle greeting, but my mood’s a killer the poor things’ senses pick it up, its tail shrivel between it hind legs. Mum’s cars parked, why didn’t she come help me with the gate? Didn’t really care, I let myself in, walked into my room, stripped to my boxers, got me a bottle of water and walked into the sitting room………………….SURPRISE!!!!!!! I almost wet my pants, actually I did, I spilled the bottle of water on me and down to my pants.

What I saw was beyond my wildest imagination, my mum, brother, sisters, couple of friends and even my dream girlfriend all in front of me surprising me with a birthday party. Like a quick flash back in movies, I had a quick flood of emotions, from grumpy, to shock, rush of embarrassment and finally an elation of joy, happiness and love. They threw me a birthday party and I was surrounded by people close to me. There was food drinks. Music and then there was cake. My mum came in with a candle lit cake that lit up the whole room and was singing the all famous happy birthday song. For some reason everyone’s lips where moving but I could only hear my mum’s voice, then in the middle of the song she asked “are you still sleeping?” Odd! Why would she ask that when I was standing right in front of her. Her next move shocked me; she freed her right hand and tapped me on the shoulder saying “wake up, birthday boy wake up”. I soon realized why everything was too good to be true, I was asleep, I finally woke up. The birthday song was real, my mum was singing it, the candle light also was real, but it sat on a candle stand not on a cake. It was 6.30am, 14th January and PHCN was holding power.

The time is 6.35am and the date is 14th January. Today is my birthday, not yesterday, not tomorrow, but today. What was, was all just a dream, its 6.35am I’m psychic because today’s the one day my phone would actually ring more than twice. Text messages would pour in, my facebook page would be a side attraction. I might be home alone with my mum but nothing stops my dream from coming true. I have breakfast and head out; unconsciously I’m dressed the same way I was in my dream, cant call that coincidence, more like me walking in the direction of my dream becoming a reality. Like expected my facebook page’s bleeding out wishes, my phones constantly ringing, some friends are kept on call waiting, I even got a message from my pastors. Time check now is 3.30pm and still I’m all smiles. Seen a couple of friends, had a couple of drinks, still don’t see why my mood would turn grumpy. 3.45pm I stop to buy a bottle of wine, I select a bottle head for the counter to pay; that would be N700 the cute cashier said. That’s when it turned south, I couldn’t find my wallet. Damn it! I think I left it at the bar. There goes my ATM, drivers’ license, cash. I called my guys but none of them had seen it. Feeling all grumpy and mad I drive home. Then I hear a familiar voice on the radio saying something about the news at 4.00pm. That’s when it hit me, I’ve been waiting for my sister to come open the gate but she wasn’t home, she was back in school. It hit me immediately that this was me leaving my déjà vu. My dream was coming true. Grumpy mood – check! Voice on the radio – check! Waiting at the gate – check! Alright man. Try not to jinx this, stay grumpy, but I couldn’t. I drove into the compound, mum’s car packed - double check! Dog wagging tail waiting for usual greeting – triple check. I couldn’t believe my streak of faith. With all composure I let myself into the house didn’t bother changing, headed straight for the sitting room, calculating how surprised I should be, I entered and BAM! I was greeted by an empty house, No surprise, no brother, sisters, mum friends or even my dream girlfriend. Just like in the dream, I had a quick flood of emotions, but different, my excitement turned to shock, then disappointment and finally sadness. Dreams, that’s what it was all, mare dreams. So I picked my sulking self, went to my room and slept.

The time is 6.30pm and I hear my mum singing the birthday anthem, I see a candle light coming close to my bed………not again, not another dream? Wake up son, come make a wish. I open my eyes only to see the candles sitting on a cake, my mum alone, with a wine in hand. This was no dream; my mum got me a cake and gave me my wallet. Told me a friend dropped it off while I was sleeping, apparently I left it in his room when I dropped him off and picked up his MI2 CD. My lips with quick reflex carve out a big clown smile, this wasn’t my dream exactly, but it just had to do. I did get my surprise and my cake, with a card addressed from my brother, sisters and friends….no dream girlfriends.

We sat down at the candle lit dining table sipping wine and nibbling on cake and Tobleron, with MI2 playing “nobody” at the background. I’m all smiles, it couldn’t have ended any better, or so I thought.

My phone rings,

Unknown number;

“Happy birthday dear” the voice said;

HORSE S**T!!!!

It was my dream girlfriend.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME

1 comment:

  1. LOL @ playing out your dejavu...Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete